Peer recovery support embraces connections between people who share similar experiences of being diagnosed with a mental health disorder, substance use disorder and/or both. This service helps individuals by promoting self-determination, creative strategies for self-empowerment, inspiration and hope, and taking concrete steps toward building a fulfilling life.
Peer Recovery Specialists believe that recovery can come from different pathways. This program uses a strengths-based approach by focusing on the individual’s resiliency and capabilities rather than focusing on challenges.
Peer Recovery Services offered:
- Provide emotional and social support
- Promote lifestyle change that includes stress management, relaxation techniques, assertiveness training, spiritual practices and conflict resolution
- Provide assistance in establishing recovery goals through the development of a Peer Recovery Plan
- Support personal recovery goals or building on resiliency
- Reinforce wellness patterns of thinking and behaviors to alleviate relapse provoking crises
- Act as liaisons with community providers and other professionals
- Advocate with and for individuals
- Bridge or navigate resources
Educational activities include the topics of:
- Life skills
- Goal setting
- Decision-making skills
- Anger management