The Health Department is investigating confirmed cases with the help of the of the Maryland Department of Health. Contact tracers at the health department are identifying household and casual contacts and advising them to self isolate for 2 weeks. For more information on Contact Tracing please visit https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/pages/contact-tracing
Contact tracing is an important public health tool used to stop the spread of disease. By stopping the chain of transmission we are able to save many people from dying of COVID-19.
Here is how it works:
- When someone tests positive for COVID-19 the health department is notified
- We call the person who tested positive for COVID-19 and collect information on places they have been and people they are been in close contact with
- Once we know the household and casual contacts we call each person who was exposed and follow up with them until they are released from self-isolation
- In order to protect patient privacy, contacts are only informed that they may been exposed to a patient with COVID-19. They are not told the identity of the patient who may have exposed them.
If you receive a phone call from the Washington County Health Department, it is extremely important to answer the call or call us back quickly. Your cooperation is crucial for contact tracing to be effective in stopping the chain of transmission.
What to Expect during your phone call with the health department:
We will ask you:
- To verify your name, date of birth and address
- About your health and symptoms
- Locations you have been during a specific period of time
- Names and contact information for any household and casual contacts (we do not disclose your name to anyone, only that they may have come into contact with an infected individual)
(Please be as specific as possible about the nature and location of your interaction with others, We heavily rely on positive individuals giving us accurate information of their contacts.)
We will NOT ask you about:
- Social security number
- Financial or bank account information
- Money or payment
- Immigration status
- Personal details unrelated to COVID-19
For more information about contact tracing please visit https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/pages/contact-tracing
MD COVID Alert
MD COVID Alert pairs seamlessly with Maryland’s traditional contact tracing efforts by using Exposure Notifications technology to notify users who may have been exposed to an infected person. Opt-in today to participate in protecting all Marylanders from COVID-19.